Coach Patrick covers some of the most effective ways to mitigate the costs associated with training in the heat – and still reap all of the benefits. If you have been struggling with the heat, see if any one of these five tips can make a difference for you!
- Train earlier in the day to avoid the peak temperature periods. Do so strategically to hopefully still be able to get enough sleep.
- Reduce the effort by using your heart rate monitor as the training guide instead of just power or pace. This will allow you to keep your effort consistent and put bigger pieces of work together without accumulating too much stress.
- Optimize your setup for frequent and early access to fluids that have electrolytes. Whether that’s gas stations or outfitting / retrofitting your car to be a mobile aid station if needed.
- Consider targeting cooler weather races where you have the opportunity to bring your heat acclimatization to the event and use it strategically to outperform the competition.
- Be sure to write down your lessons learned so you can get smarter every go-round whether it’s from session to session, week to week, or even season to season.
Thanks for listening to this Endurance Nation podcast…find more online here.
Prefer to Watch the Show?
Follow Endurance Nation on YouTube for video recordings of Coach Patrick on the podcast and much more!
Get regular updates and articles that will make you a smarter and faster athlete! Sign Up Here
Audible eBook Trial: Make the most of your drive time or down time with business, learning or entertaining books (that you’d otherwise NEVER read): www.endurancenation.us/audible
Become a Podcast Supporter: That’s right, you can help contribute to keeping the Endurance Nation podcast 100% athlete-focused. Make a small contribution online here: www.patreon.com/endurancenation
Endurance Nation is the world’s largest, fastest online triathlon coaching group with more than 750 members across the globe training and racing together. Be sure to check us out at EnduranceNation.us to stay on top of all things endurance. If you’re ready to get started create your Membership at EnduranceNation.us/join – we have a 30-day money back guarantee if you aren’t satisfied!
Endurance Nation: Work Hard, Get Smart, Go Fast!
Leave a Reply